Skip to content

China Has Had Enough

October 6, 2008

China cancels US military contact

China has cancelled military and diplomatic exchanges with the US in protest at a $6.5bn deal to supply Taiwan with arms, US officials say.

A number of senior level visits and military-to-military exchanges due before November would not go ahead, the US defence department said.

The sales include advanced interceptor missiles, Apache helicopters and submarine-launched missiles.

China regards Taiwan as its territory and opposes US military support.

‘Unfortunate’

Pentagon spokesman Maj Stewart Upton said: “China’s continued politicisation of our military relationship results in missed opportunities.”

The Chinese move affects a visit by a senior Chinese general, navy port calls and meetings on the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

China will also not participate in an exchange on humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

“It’s an unfortunate step,” said US state department deputy spokesman Robert Wood.

On Saturday the Chinese foreign ministry said: “The Chinese government and the Chinese people strongly oppose and object to the US government’s actions, which harm Chinese interests and Sino-US relations.”

The US is Taiwan’s largest arms supplier.

The US said the deal would not alter the military balance in the region but was “a demonstration of the commitment of this administration to provide Taiwan the defensive arms its needs to be strong”.

Beijing cancels US military exchanges

The Pentagon said Beijing had cancelled or postponed the meetings after the US last week announced its largest arms package to Taiwan in 15 years.

Anger in China over US arms plan for Taiwan

China condemns U.S.-Taiwan arms sale

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: